New Mexico has one of the highest child poverty rates in the county. The Income inequality and economic insecurity statistics are staggering. CEI began working on day labor issues in New Mexico in 2001. CEI is a partner organization within the Rural People Rural Policy coalition which was originally funded by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
We continue post-Kellogg funding to partner with local organizations and grassroots community leaders to identify and address systemic issues related to child, family and kinship, consumers and economic development.
New Mexico Small Loan Initiative and Public Information Campaign
- Outreach to the general public about the dangers of high-cost small loan lending in New Mexico
- Develop and Facilitate Financial Management Workshops in Rural Communities
- Continue to work with Coalition Partners for reasonable small loan interest rate caps
- Provide training and technical assistance to nonprofit partners with regards to economic justice issue and social enterprise development
- Work with the Public and Private Sector to encourage responsible, fair small loan lending options for modest income individuals and families